BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, June 28, 2009

I want to be a computer expert

It has been a few days since I've posted and I just wanted to check in. I still don't have a job, and the economy sucks so not much has changed. The biggest headlines have been about the death of Michael Jackson from a heart attack. People suspect it was from an overdose of pain medication, but the autopsy did not return anything definitive (thats what they say anyways, the truth will come out in the end).

Since I've been without any income for about 2 months now, I've been selling a lot my old stuff. At least if I ever do go back to work I'll have a lot less clutter to deal with. All this selling I've been doing really makes me realize how much money I've wasted over the years. Hopefully, once I go back to a steady income I'll become a lot more frugal (I may not have a choice).

I've also done some soul searching over the weekend and I'm trying to think about a new career. I've spent the last 4 years of my life as a truck driver (what a waste) and I don't want to continue any more. Amazingly enough, I've also held a Comptia A+, Network+ and I-Net+ certification that entire time. I'm pretty much done with my CDL, so I figure its time to pursue my real love. When I was younger back in the 80's and 90's I wanted to be a computer expert, but good luck now. What exactly is a computer expert now? Back in the early days of PC's it was easy to be an expert, because the field just wasn't that big. Today there are some many specialties in the PC field; Webmaster, System Administration, Networking, Network Security, and Programming just to name a few. Of all those specialalties I think Network Security is pretty much the toughest now, because you have to really be an expert at everything for this job. While this really appeals to me, it seems to be a young man's game and I'm pretty certain I don't have the chops or time for it. For once in my life I really don't know what direction I want take, I just want to be a computer expert.

0 comments: